Saturday 18 October 2014

A (Short) Week in Review: More proofs and midterm results

This is the fourth "Week in Review."

This week was short due to Thanksgiving on Monday. Thus, there were no tutorials and only two lectures.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to get my test, but my test score wasn't that great. I did pass, so that's something to be happy about, I guess? However, Professor Heap announced in lecture that the class average was in the low 80's. That's amazing! I thought. My test mark is way below the class average. I messed up the first question really badly when I thought I'd do well on it. I didn't do so well on the last question either. That's okay; I'll do better on the next test. But the feeling of getting a mark that is below the class average makes me feel defeated. I'll approach Prof. Heap on Wednesday during office hours to see where I went wrong and move forward. I might be upset temporarily, but I have to keep in mind that this was the first test and that I should still be happy because I passed.

I'll have to admit that I didn't study hard enough. I had my psychology test the very next day and I was a bit too focused on trying to memorize as much as I could because psychology involves memorization of terms. I did study some of the material, though. I still managed to get an adequate result despite my lack of study.

This week was a continuation of proof writing, all with the same proof structure:

Assume...
(insert "Then" statements here with proper indentation)
Conclude....

We've been looking at proofs for about a week now. More specifically, we've looked at certain kinds of proofs.

Recently, we've learned how to prove using different cases. Sometimes, a statement can have different possibilities. If this is the case, it is best to split the argument into multiple cases. For example, we can consider the cases when a number is odd and a number is even. We can integrate this into our proof after we have made our assumption.

The floor function was introduced. The "floor of x" is the largest integer that is either less than or equal to x. On a graph, it looks like this:



This concept is seen once again in MAT137 on a practice problem set, which is used to help students prepare for Wednesday's test.

Proofs can be time-consuming to write. In CSC165, we use a proof structure that mostly involves the written word, especially Python-style comments on the side (beginning with "#") as seen in CSC108. In MAT137, I start with my rough work and then carry on with the proof, but I also have to use words. For my problem sets, I lose marks if I do not explain my proof in words.

I often comment on the similarity between CSC165 and MAT137 because I have both on the same days and they complement each other very well. Technically, CSC165 is a computer science course, but it's all about math and logic. Using what I've learned in 165 can help me with the material presented in 137, notably the logic component. 

No comments:

Post a Comment